Harnessing over eighteen years of experience in the field of drug policy, I specialize in helping local, state, provincial, national, and international government and non-governmental organizations create, analyze, communicate, and implement policies and programs on a wide range of substance use issues. My past work includes creating, disseminating, and implementing drug prevention programs, researching and publishing best policy and programmatic practices, effectively communicating complex policy issues at the highest levels of government, and analyzing and brokering drug policy on an international level.
I am also dedicated to sound drug policy research and analysis, and serve as a fellow at the Center for Substance Abuse Solutions at the University of Pennsylvania. My research interests include the impact of drug policy changes on drug prevalence and harms, sentencing and criminal justice reform, and the efficacy of prevention and treatment programs.
I have worked in three U.S. Administrations on drug policy issues, authored or co-authored over 30 publications, represented both the U.S. government and non-governmental organizations at local, state, national, and international levels, spoken in front of groups ranging from 5 to more than 500, and built and run two anti-drug coalitions. As a consultant, I am engaging or have engaged with two dozen separate clients.
Some of my past work collaborations include:
• Co-authored President Obama’s inaugural National Drug Control Strategy – a sensible, public health oriented blueprint to reduce drug use and its consequences released in 2010
• Drafted various national resolutions at meetings of the United Nations, including the Commission on Narcotic Drugs in Vienna, Austria
• Written numerous speeches, public pronouncements, and articles for ONDCP Directors McCaffrey, Walters, and Kerlikowske
• Authored numerous scholarly papers and monographs (both officially commissioned and non-commissioned)
• Advised Southeast Asian and Latin American anti-drug officials on best practices in drug prevention and policy.
• Engaged with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) and Vienna NGO Committee (VNGOC) on behalf of various U.S. NGOs
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-25949387-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);